Elmina castle is one of the oldest castles built in Ghana. The castle was originally named São Jorge da Mina (St. George of the Mine) by the Portuguese upon its completion in 1482. The fortress was initially constructed as a trade settlement, but it later served as a major point of the Atlantic slave trade regime. In 1637, the Dutch captured the castle from the Portuguese and by 1642 the administration of the Portuguese Gold Coast had been transferred to Dutch Gold Coast. Although, the slave trade continued to 1814 under the Dutch administration, it was until 1872 before the British Empire could capture Gold Coast from the Dutch. Elmina castle is a recognised UNESCO World Heritage site which continues to attract visitors throughout the year.